Spammers

General discussions for anything not model specific
Tomken

Spammers

Post by Tomken »

Perhaps as a way of combatting those taking the pee by registering on the forum to just advertise their goods/services - part of the forum registering process could include the serial number of their Billion device.
billion_fan

Re: Spammers

Post by billion_fan »

Tomken wrote:Perhaps as a way of combatting those taking the pee by registering on the forum to just advertise their goods/services - part of the forum registering process could include the serial number of their Billion device.
We could do that, but the pre-sales forums users won't be able to post/ask questions.

I'll have a think about it and see what we can do, these damn spammers seem to be in over drive this month ...LOL
Tomken

Post by Tomken »

I was going to suggest providing a Stickie to contact by e-mail for those, but don't know if that could result in some form of DoS just out of spite :)
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

Tomken wrote:I was going to suggest providing a Stickie to contact by e-mail for those, but don't know if that could result in some form of DoS just out of spite :)
I think I might start banning IP addresses of these spammers, that should slow them down
Tomken

Post by Tomken »

But don't you sometimes get a new ISP IP address whenever you reboot ?
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

Tomken wrote:But don't you sometimes get a new ISP IP address whenever you reboot ?
Genuine forum user normally post on our esupport site if they have issues with the forum, so it won't be a big problem.
milonic

Post by milonic »

http://www.stopforumspam.com/ this is the first step to take.

Either use a phpBB module or block them via a DNS black list.

You'll stop 99% of spam with the above, as most of spammers IP addresses will already be on the list.