DNS server not responding

General discussions for anything not model specific
saziyaa

DNS server not responding

Post by saziyaa »

Why is every DNS server not responding? My internet has been ridiculously slow the past few days. My computer tells me it is because the DNS server isn't responding. So what I did was look up different DNS addresses, and put them into my computer. This helped at first, but now it tells me that EVERY SINGLE DNS SERVER that I connect to isn't responding.

Re: DNS server not responding

Post by Tomken »

Have you downloaded anything prior to this - in which case use your restore points prior to the event.

If using IE then go Tools - Internet options - Connections - click on LAN Settings and ensure that the Proxy Server box is unchecked.

This can also be caused by your AV program and booting up into Safe Mode with Networking will isolate the AV so as to check if it resolves the DNS error.

Usually a manual check for updates or a reinstall of the AV can resolve, but if you are using McAfee then just dump it for something else (personal preference).

Running the following commands as an administrator at the Command Prompt can also resolve connectivity issues if you are still unable to connect in Safe Mode with Networking.

netsh winsock reset catalog
netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt
ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /registerdns

exit

Now reboot the computer.

If you are still unable to connect then try a power cycle of the modem and/or router by switching off all devices and removing all cables for a couple of minutes.

Reconnect the cables and if using a separate modem, switch just that on until all lights are back on then do the same for the router and finally just one computer.

If it's still a no-go then it could be an ISP issue and you will need to contact them to report the problem.