Sky Fibre

General discussions for anything not model specific
IIRaikohII

Sky Fibre

Post by IIRaikohII »

Hi there!

We have recently moved over to Sky Fibre and, unfortunately, we have been given that god awful black Sky Hub the SR102. Now, I'm going to be blunt and honest, it's a piece of shit. And it needs to go because I believe it's hurting the performance of the Fibre.

Now I have been doing a lot of research and I have come to the conclusion that a Billion router is the way to go. The performance is awesome and apparently the support is excellent. But what keeps confusing me is, some people say you will need the Openreach Modem to be able to use a Billion router on Sky Fibre, and some people say that if you buy a certain model of Billion router, use the correct firmware and set up, then it can replace the Sky Hub without the need for an Openreach Mode.

Now I would prefer that latter option seeing as the only place you can get an Openreach Modem seems to be on eBay and I'm not a massive fan of eBay especially when it comes to buying electronics.

So my main question is: What Billion Router do I need to buy in order to be able to use it on Sky Fibre WITHOUT needing to buy an Openreach Modem? Assuming that this is possible at all.

I would really appreciate someone giving me a straight and clear answer to all this so I will finally know what it is I need to do.

Thanks for any replies!
billion_fan

Re: Sky Fibre

Post by billion_fan »

The model you are looking for is the Bipac 8800NL.

This is a one box solution for Sky Fibre.

More info can be found below
http://www.billion.uk.com/product/vdsl/8800NL.htm
IIRaikohII

Post by IIRaikohII »

Excellent! Thank you very much.

It is a shame that it only has 1 Gigabit Ethernet port while the rest are 10/100.

Are there any other Billions which can do the same as the 8800NL but have all Gigabit Ethernet Ports?

It seems strange to do a router made for Fibre connections and not have Gigabit ports.
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

IIRaikohII wrote:Excellent! Thank you very much.

It is a shame that it only has 1 Gigabit Ethernet port while the rest are 10/100.

Are there any other Billions which can do the same as the 8800NL but have all Gigabit Ethernet Ports?

It seems strange to do a router made for Fibre connections and not have Gigabit ports.
We should have a higher model coming out soon, I'll keep the forum posted :D
IIRaikohII

Post by IIRaikohII »

Fantastic! Good to hear! :D

Hopefully sooner rather than later.

I look forward to it!
IIRaikohII

Post by IIRaikohII »

Hi,

Just thought, after leaving it for a couple of months, I'd revisit this post and ask if there has been any movement with regards to a VDSL Router with all Gigabit Ports?

Thanks
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

IIRaikohII wrote:Hi,

Just thought, after leaving it for a couple of months, I'd revisit this post and ask if there has been any movement with regards to a VDSL Router with all Gigabit Ports?

Thanks
No update yet
Bunnman

Post by Bunnman »

Hi. Can I ask if the software is compatible with sky or does it have to be flashed with the sky user/password added as well please?
Bearing in mind this post is now some months old is there any news on the updated version previously mentioned?
I can see that this was about the 8800NL, but do you know if the 8800AXL willalso be compatible please? If so what do you reckon to it?

Thanks in anticipation.
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

Bunnman wrote:Hi. Can I ask if the software is compatible with sky or does it have to be flashed with the sky user/password added as well please?
Bearing in mind this post is now some months old is there any news on the updated version previously mentioned?
I can see that this was about the 8800NL, but do you know if the 8800AXL willalso be compatible please? If so what do you reckon to it?

Thanks in anticipation.
Yes the Bipac 8800AXL is compatible with the Sky ADSL/FTTC, the UK quick start guide that comes with the device will list the setup procedure (similar to the 8800NL quick start guide listed on this forum)

You will need to extract your current broadband username and password from your current Sky modem/router to proceed
Bunnman

Post by Bunnman »

Hey that's great. I was wondering. I have downloaded Wireshark tonight so will go with the 8800AXL I think.
Thanks very much for help.