Best Billion for long reach

General discussions for anything not model specific
Supernova1

Best Billion for long reach

Post by Supernova1 »

Hello,

I currently are connected via long line, about 4km+. Sync speed averages 1800kbs, 63db attenuation at 6db noise margin.
I'm using a 2 wire 2700HG which has a good for holding onto long reach dsl, but nothing in the way of SNR adjustment.

Fibre won't arrive where I live for at least another 8 months so I'd like to squeeze the last kbs from my existing connection.
Which Billion would give the best long reach DSL performance or better the 2 wire modem.

I'm looking at the 7800n or the 7800DXL, but only really concerned with the DSL performance, wireless function is secondary.
The 8800 is another choice as I could use that with a ner fibre account, ONLY if the DSL betters the 2 wire though.

Which one should I go for, or am I stuck at 1800kbs until photons finially arrive :D

ATB
S.N.
Tomken

Re: Best Billion for long reach

Post by Tomken »

With an Attenuation of 63dB you don't really want to be playing with the SNR Margins as you are likely to make the connection unstable

At 63dB, that puts you ~4.6kms from the exchange but your speed looks to be a little down on what you could get, although there are other factors to consider.

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php

If you are using a NTE5 master socket, have you tried plugging the router into the Test socket that is behind the Faceplate and perhaps getting a High Speed ADSL cable which is said to be able to increase throughput.

I've been using one for a few years now but can't remember what is was like before I fitted it as I was having ISP line problems at the time.

My 7800N syncs between 300 - 500kbps slower than the ISP supplied routers that I've previously used, but at the time, it would hold the connection when the SNRM dropped to 0.4dB where they wouldn't on a 50dB Atten.