New Talktalk Fibre Modem

General discussions for anything not model specific
Gogsyboy

New Talktalk Fibre Modem

Post by Gogsyboy »

Hi, I need some help please.
I have just ordered an upgrade to fibre but as I'm about 2 miles from the exchange it won't be lightning fast, but better than my current 2.5/0.5 rates, probably around 6-10/.8-1 range.
I currently live in a large house (450m2) with 3' thick stone walls and use a Billion 7800N with 3 Billion wireless homeplugs and everything works very well. I don't want 2 boxes when I get fibre so was looking at a replacement Wireless Modem/Router just like the 7800N but VDSL capable. Looking at the models it appears to be 8800NL, 8200N or 6300NXL but I have no idea which one is best for my setup.
Can anyone help please as the fibre goes live in about a week and I'll need to order one PDQ.
Thanks
Gordon
billion_fan

Re: New Talktalk Fibre Modem

Post by billion_fan »

Gogsyboy wrote:Hi, I need some help please.
I have just ordered an upgrade to fibre but as I'm about 2 miles from the exchange it won't be lightning fast, but better than my current 2.5/0.5 rates, probably around 6-10/.8-1 range.
I currently live in a large house (450m2) with 3' thick stone walls and use a Billion 7800N with 3 Billion wireless homeplugs and everything works very well. I don't want 2 boxes when I get fibre so was looking at a replacement Wireless Modem/Router just like the 7800N but VDSL capable. Looking at the models it appears to be 8800NL, 8200N or 6300NXL but I have no idea which one is best for my setup.
Can anyone help please as the fibre goes live in about a week and I'll need to order one PDQ.
Thanks
Gordon
The Bipac 8200N is now discontinued, the Bipac 8800NL is the replacement model, the Bipac 6300NXL is not a VDSL/ADSL modem, it is just a broadband router (meaning it will be a two box solution, the same as your 7800N)

That should narrow your options down :D
Gogsyboy

Post by Gogsyboy »

many thanks, I guess it's the 8800 then :)
Tomken

Post by Tomken »

FTTC is immune to interference so doesn't suffer from signal attenuation - so the distance from the exchange won't be a factor in your speed, but the distance to your home from the new fibre cabinet and contention, as the uptake of FTTC or of existing FTTC customers in your area.

Your speed can degrade at peak times because of contention just as ADSL can, but it will still be a hell of a lot better to what you are getting now on ADSL.