Shellshock vulnerability

General discussions for anything not model specific
Dr. HD

Shellshock vulnerability

Post by Dr. HD »

Are any of Billion’s Routers affected by Shellshock?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-29361794
billion_fan

Re: Shellshock vulnerability

Post by billion_fan »

Dr. HD wrote:Are any of Billion’s Routers affected by Shellshock?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-29361794
Checking with our engineers, I'll drop a update here in due course.
sludge_fudder

Post by sludge_fudder »

Could we make it widely known if this patch is required, I don't think hiding something as vital as this in a user forum qualifies as good customer service. What % of bipac's customers have registered here, and visit <1% maybe, and what % of computer users globally are aware of this vulnerability <0.01% --
AdrianH

Post by AdrianH »

sludge_fudder wrote:Could we make it widely known if this patch is required, I don't think hiding something as vital as this in a user forum qualifies as good customer service. What % of bipac's customers have registered here, and visit <1% maybe, and what % of computer users globally are aware of this vulnerability <0.01% --
Who said that anything was being hidden? Billion Fan answered a question posted here and said he would reply when information was available.

If any patching is required , Billion themselves will obviously post any updated software to the normal source on the main site.
AdrianH

Post by AdrianH »

Well ........my 7800N has no Bash onboard, most routers use BusyBox and that uses the Ash commands, not Bash.

Thing to watch is that there has been a suggestion that BusyBox /Ash may be affected too. We will all have to wait for more research.
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

sludge_fudder wrote:Could we make it widely known if this patch is required, I don't think hiding something as vital as this in a user forum qualifies as good customer service. What % of bipac's customers have registered here, and visit <1% maybe, and what % of computer users globally are aware of this vulnerability <0.01% --
As stated by 'AdrianH' once we get update regarding this vulnerability we will post it here, and on our web site
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

Hi Guys/Girls

We just got confirmation from Broadcom (chipset vendor) that the 7800 series is not effected by the Shell Shock vulnerability. (this includes the 8800NL, 7800DX,7800DXL7800VDOX,7800X,7800N,7800 and 7700n)

We are still waiting for confirmation on the models (which use a different chipset vendors), this will be updated in due course.
Dr. HD

Post by Dr. HD »

Thank you for the update.
billion_fan wrote:Hi Guys/Girls

We just got confirmation from Broadcom (chipset vendor)
:?: Isn’t this a firmware issue? Don’t you write your own firmware?
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

Dr. HD wrote:Thank you for the update.
billion_fan wrote:Hi Guys/Girls

We just got confirmation from Broadcom (chipset vendor)
:?: Isn’t this a firmware issue? Don’t you write your own firmware?
We write our own firmware based off the Broadcom os, so it is always best to check with the chipset vendor, (we want to be 100% sure)

Its not a firmware issue as we are not effected
jez_uk1

Post by jez_uk1 »

Thanks for the info, pleased to know my 7800N is not affected.