phone cable to connect the modem

General discussions for anything not model specific
minkzyan

phone cable to connect the modem

Post by minkzyan »

Fiber connection modem connected with phone cable? Hello. Today I switched to a fiber connection (50mbps down 2 up). When the guys came to install it they used the normal phone cable to connect the modem. Also there was nothing about fiber connection on the modem it was just a huawei modem with dsl light. Is that ok? Can I get that fiber 0ms ping with that cable?
Last edited by minkzyan on Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
billion_fan

Re: phone cable to connect the modem

Post by billion_fan »

minkzyan wrote:Fiber connection modem connected with phone cable? Hello. Today I switched to a fiber connection (50mbps down 2 up). When the guys came to install it they used the normal phone cable to connect the modem. Also there was nothing about fiber connection on the modem it was just a huawei modem with dsl light. Is that ok? Can I get that fiber 0ms ping with that cable?
I'll let someone else take this one :D
Tomken

Post by Tomken »

I believe TalkTalk are using an all in one Huawei modem now and I have come across where the cable has come straight out of a modified master socket, but I think you should contact your ISP tech support if you have any concerns.
AdrianH

Post by AdrianH »

The FTTC install uses a standard modem/router adsl lead from the modified faceplate to the BT modem.

The white modem is installed, you then connect that modem to your routers EWAN port.

BT users will no longer get the modem, they are being supplied the new BT Home Hub 5 which is an integrated VDSL2 modem router Wireless AC11 unit which means no more 2 box installs.

0 ms ping? no such thing, that is magic mushroom land.