Public IP

General discussions for anything not model specific
zunkith

Public IP

Post by zunkith »

Hello,
I have a BiPac 7700N. Lovely little router. However on my old router from my ISP I had the ability to assign the public IP to a machine on the network. I would like to do this again, but can't figure out how. I believe the 7700N cannot do this, so which BiPac should I get?

Thanks in advance.

--
Zunkith
billion_fan

Re: Public IP

Post by billion_fan »

If you mean one to one NAT, take a look at the following thread, (I posted some zip files with examples)

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=3356&p=10094&hilit ... nat#p10094

If this is a feature you are looking for (nat and no nat running at the same) time you can go for any of our newer 7800 series or 8800 series
zunkith

Post by zunkith »

Cracking. Thanks for the info. Gonna order me one soon
zunkith

Post by zunkith »

zunkith wrote:Cracking. Thanks for the info. Gonna order me one soon
So, 12 Months later I now going to order my new router. Just looking to confirm some details.

I have a fixed public IP from my ISP. The old router allowed me to assign this to a machine on the network and I could access it from anywhere else. Billion refers to this as NAT to NAT. I'm looking at the 8800NL. Can anyone confirm that this router supports NAT to NAT and will do what I want?

Thanks again,

Zunkith
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

zunkith wrote:
zunkith wrote:Cracking. Thanks for the info. Gonna order me one soon
So, 12 Months later I now going to order my new router. Just looking to confirm some details.

I have a fixed public IP from my ISP. The old router allowed me to assign this to a machine on the network and I could access it from anywhere else. Billion refers to this as NAT to NAT. I'm looking at the 8800NL. Can anyone confirm that this router supports NAT to NAT and will do what I want?

Thanks again,

Zunkith
If you have one static IP, this will have to be assigned to the 8800NL, if you have a range of static IP's then you can use the one to one NAT option, to assign device/s a internal IP/s, which will then be mapped to a external IP/s, (so when you check the WAN IP of the device it will show as your mapped external IP)

Please note when using one to one nat, the device will need a firewall installed, as one to one nat devices will be fully exposed to the internet (meaning all ports will be open)