6300NX 4g and usb issues

General discussions for anything not model specific
fest0r

6300NX 4g and usb issues

Post by fest0r »

I just bought a 6300NX and I’m having a problem with it recognising android phones and a USB dongle. I have had great use out of my 7800DXL, but wanted a vpn option so I thought it would be ideal as I didn’t need all the options of the 7800DX.

It was probably foolish, but I presumed any device(s) that worked with the 7800DXL would work with the 6300NX. I have tried various router setting with several android LTE phones and even a Huawei E3256 dongle with no luck. It will not establish a link and the system log mentions it doesn’t support the USB device. The strange thing is that there isn’t even a 4g/lte option that the 7800 has. It only has umts, gsm, gprs or automatic. I have also upgraded to the latest (only) firmware.

My other option would be to have the 6300 as an access point running off the 7800, but I cannot get the vpn to work. I can get an Internet connection working in various EWAN modes, but the pptp vpn is not kicking in. I suspect it’s because it will be ignored in bridge mode and I have to enable NAT to get an Internet connection in dynamic or static IP mode.

I was thinking about just going for a 7800DX, but I now don’t know if I will get the vpn to work (Private Internet Access account) and/or if my android phone will tether with it.

There seems to be very little info on the 6300NX and no dongle/device compatibility list. I have had no response from tech support (ticket) so any help would be greatly appreciated.

System log:

[3gDeamon1@1] In 3g_ext main(), Got External 3G Wan Port at port 1
[3gDeamon1@1] Got External 3G Wan Port
[3gDeamon1@1] going to change mode
[3gDeamon1@1] glb_vendor = , glb_product =
[3gDeamon1@1] _3g_ext_vendor = 0x18d1, _3g_ext_product = 0x4ee3
[3gDeamon1@1] convert(), vendor = 18d1, product = 4ee3
[3gDeamon1@1] plug into storage-like device 18d1:4ee3
[3gDeamon1@1] Not support this usb device in our 3G deamon for busb_modeswitch,port(1)(vid:0x18d1,pid:0x4ee3)
[3gDeamon1@1] Not support this usb device in our 3G deamon for usb_modeswitch,port(1)(vid:0x18d1,pid:0x4ee3)
[3gDeamon1@1] change mode end
[3gDeamon1@1] change mode end
[3gDeamon1@1] check_mode() entered, port(1)
[3gDeamon1@1] In 3g_ext main(), port(1), vendor=0x18d1, product=0x4ee3
[3gDeamon1@1] _3g_ext_init()
[3gDeamon1@1] In 3g_ext main(), rmmod usbserial then insmod, port(1)
billion_fan

Re: 6300NX 4g and usb issues

Post by billion_fan »

Attached is the dongle compatibility list, I don't think tethering is supported with either a iphone or android device like the 7800 series.

Also make sure you have latest firmware loaded found here http://www.billion.uk.com/esupport/inde ... 02brc5dy28

To get the VPN working the 6300 needs to obtain a WAN IP address eg PPPOE EWAN mode

Regarding the 7800DX, the firmware is nearly the same but with VPN support, if your 7800DXL works with your dongle and your android device then you should be fine, but VPN support might vary on 4G/3G unless you have a static IP sim (companies offer static IP sims to get around this), as the connection is normally natted by the sim carrier.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fest0r

Re: 6300NX 4g and usb issues

Post by fest0r »

Thanks very much for your help.

If the list was available on the website it probably wouldn’t have changed my mind then. Looking at the info that is made available it appears as though the 78xx has a much smaller list than the 74xx and 62xx series and no mention of phone tethering at all:

http://www.billion.uk.com/compatible-3G.htm

I will have to return the router as I can’t use PPPoE to piggyback off the 7800 and seemingly no tethering support. From what you mention there is no guarantee I will get the vpn to function with 4g so I will probably give the 7800DX a miss too. I don’t have a static ip sim or the option to get one on the contract I have.

Thanks again and I hope you’re being paid for all this excellent support ;)