IP Conflict

Discussions for BiPAC 7300 series: 7300, 7300G, 7300N..etc
firdaussi

IP Conflict

Post by firdaussi »

At Xmas I ditched a Netgear DGN1000 (N150) in favour of a 7300N. I have always run the Netgear in conjunction with an Edimax 7416APn range extender
because of problems with the signal from the router. I still get, but not to the same extent, problems with the signal from the Billion & want to run a TP-Link
TL-WA801ND with it as an extender.

However the TP & the Billion have the same default IP of 192.168.1.254 and needless to say they cause a problem. I haven't fathomed out how I can assign a different
IP to the router as I could with the Netgear. Is this possible, or will I have to change the TP' address?

Also, the router is currently connected to an extension socket at the front of the house. Is there anything to be gained by connecting it to the master socket which is in the room below? If I move the router to the master socket how far from the tv & digital phone does it need to be to avoid interference?

My desktop is in a back bedroom at the opposite corner of the house to both sockets.

Thanks
Firdaussi
billion_fan

Re: IP Conflict

Post by billion_fan »

You can change the IP on the 7300N by following these steps.

1. Disconnect your TP-link from the network
2. Login to the 7300N web gui (http://192.168.1.254)
3. Use the username 'admin' and password 'admin'
4. Click on 'Advanced' on the left hand column
5. Click on 'LAN'
6. Click on 'Ethernet'
7. Here you can change the IP address of the 7300N.
8. Once done restart all devices connected to the network.

Regarding plugging up to the main socket coming into the house, this might improve your ADSL speeds, the best way is to follow these steps.

1. Leave the 7300N in the same location
2. Log into the devices web gui
3. Click on 'Advanced'
4. Click on Status
5. Click on 'ADSL status'
6. Note down you downstream and upstream sync rate
7. Unplug the device and plug it up to your main telephone socket
8. Do the same again and check for increased downstream/upstream sync rate

If it does increase, then you might want to consider leaving the router connect to the main socket.
firdaussi

Post by firdaussi »

Thanks for the reply.
I changed the ip to 192.168.150 but something went adrift.
From my laptop the connection to the router was ok, but there was no connection between the & my ISP. When I disconnected and reconnected the
wireless card the connection was ok, but then fell over after a minute or so. I have put the router back on to 192.168.254 and all is ok again.
I did notice, when the ip was set to 150, that ipconfig showed that default gateway, DHCP server & DNS servers were all still on 254. Should they also have
been on the same address as the router?

One thing that came to find as result of your reply was that I still have the router on the default username & password. Again I've not found how to change at least
the password. Help much appreciated.

Thanks
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

When you change the IP address on the router, the gateway/DNS should change over to 192.168.1.150 as 192.168.1.254 does not exist on the network anymore.

A simple restart of the computers connected should resolve this, or a "ipconfig /release" and then "ipconfig /renew" should renew your IP via Command Prompt. (PS make sure you have not set your computers to use a static IP)

You should be able to change the default password by following these steps.

1. Login to the router web interface
2. Click on 'Advanced'
3. Click on 'Configuration'
4. Click on 'Sysytem'
5. Click on 'User Management'
6. Click on 'Edit' on next to Vaild and admin (to select your admin account)
7. Change your password and confirm the change of password
8. Click on 'Edit/Delete' to apply the change.

Thanks
firdaussi

Post by firdaussi »

Thanks for the reply. I think I've got it changed now.

There are 2 screen grabs below
BillionLogIn1.JPG
BillionLogIn2.JPG
I assume I have to save config and then restart

Have I got it correct?

Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

Once you have added a new username/password there is no need to restart the router.

A save config and then apply in the middle of the page to confirm you want to save settings to flash should suffice.
firdaussi

Post by firdaussi »

Apologies for the late response & thanks for the help. All sorted now (I hope)