"Lost-Carrier" - A problem?

Discussions for BiPAC 7300 series: 7300, 7300G, 7300N..etc
firdaussi

Re: "Lost-Carrier" - A problem?

Post by firdaussi »

I have just taken my Billion off & put my Netgear DGN1000 on
Stats Netgear.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

At moment it seems your 7300N is trying to sync to high, and this in turn is making your SNR drop to 0db.

Please ask your ISP to cap your downstream SNR to 5db or 6db this should make the 7300N more stable on your line.
firdaussi

Post by firdaussi »

billion_fan wrote:At moment it seems your 7300N is trying to sync to high, and this in turn is making your SNR drop to 0db.

Please ask your ISP to cap your downstream SNR to 5db or 6db this should make the 7300N more stable on your line.

I have put my Netgear router on to try & see if the problem was with the Billion, but the Netgear was also showing the same effects.
I have found, in the Netgear, a reference to "idle timeout" which was set at 10 minutes. The on-screen instructions show :
An idle Internet connection will be terminated after this time period.
If this value is zero (0), then the connection will be "kept alive" by re-connecting immediately whenever the connection is lost.

I have reset the time out to 0 & so far there has been no drop out.
As regards stats on the Netgear they were on a 10sec refreshe & were showing

Line Attn 17.9/0.0
Noise 3.2/0.0

But on the next cyle they would show 17.9/9.5 & 3.3/31.9 and then back to 0 values on the next cycle. Changing the cycle time either displayed a permanent 0
value or the 3.x/31.x values.

Currently its on 10sec & there are no 0 values coming up.

I'm guessing that there is some defect in the stats on the Netgear
firdaussi

Post by firdaussi »

Unfortunately this is still ongoing. The logs from my ISP show that the drop-outs are still happening, at all sorts of intervals, anything between 11 minutes & several hours.

I swapped for my Netgear on the 21st and it has continued without any problem for nearly 8 days.

I'm now starting to think that the Billion is faulty.