"Lost-Carrier" - A problem?

Discussions for BiPAC 7300 series: 7300, 7300G, 7300N..etc
firdaussi

"Lost-Carrier" - A problem?

Post by firdaussi »

The radius log on my ISP account with ICUK indicates that there are very frequent occasions when a "lost-carrier" occurs. I assume this means that the connection has been
dropped for some reason. It's only a matter of seconds before it picks up again as the attached log shows. I haven't seen noticeable effect on my laptop or desktop, but my internet
radio does lose its signal for a good few seconds. However, I can't see that this is related to the lost-carrier as, if I change station and and then go back to the original one the signal comes back
again.

Also, I'm not sure whether or not it's affecting my sync, which had been between 20379 & 20154kbps between 20/06 & 30/06, but since then has been as low as 17501 & is currently 17734.

I've attached a copy of the radius log & there have been 3 more drop-outs since the re-boot on the 10th.
(I can add a copy of the sync speed log if this would be useful).

Can any one please tell me if the problem is likely to be with my Billion 7300n, or elsewhere, and how I might be able to sort it.

Many thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
billion_fan

Re: "Lost-Carrier" - A problem?

Post by billion_fan »

firdaussi wrote:The radius log on my ISP account with ICUK indicates that there are very frequent occasions when a "lost-carrier" occurs. I assume this means that the connection has been
dropped for some reason. It's only a matter of seconds before it picks up again as the attached log shows. I haven't seen noticeable effect on my laptop or desktop, but my internet
radio does lose its signal for a good few seconds. However, I can't see that this is related to the lost-carrier as, if I change station and and then go back to the original one the signal comes back
again.

Also, I'm not sure whether or not it's affecting my sync, which had been between 20379 & 20154kbps between 20/06 & 30/06, but since then has been as low as 17501 & is currently 17734.

I've attached a copy of the radius log & there have been 3 more drop-outs since the re-boot on the 10th.
(I can add a copy of the sync speed log if this would be useful).

Can any one please tell me if the problem is likely to be with my Billion 7300n, or elsewhere, and how I might be able to sort it.

Many thanks

What was the model number of your router eg 7300N, 7300G etc
firdaussi

Post by firdaussi »

Apologies for that - age (or female nagging) must be getting the better of me - It's a 7300n
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

Try the attached firmware

Don't forget to reset back to factory default setting to ensure all changes are made within the firmware, also do not restore settings from previous firmware builds.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
firdaussi

Post by firdaussi »

billion_fan wrote:Try the attached firmware

Don't forget to reset back to factory default setting to ensure all changes are made within the firmware, also do not restore settings from previous firmware builds.
Thanks for getting back to me B_F.
My 7300n is currently showing the software version as 1.08a. The downloaded version from yourself appears as 1.08a.dj4-A. Is it the same as that currently on my router, or a revised version? Can I take it that the factory reset needs to be redone before it is installed?

thanks
Regards
Firdaussi
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

firdaussi wrote:
billion_fan wrote:Try the attached firmware

Thanks for getting back to me B_F.
My 7300n is currently showing the software version as 1.08a. The downloaded version from yourself appears as 1.08a.dj4-A. Is it the same as that currently on my router, or a revised version? Can I take it that the factory reset needs to be redone before it is installed?

thanks
Regards
Firdaussi

This is revised firmware, which I have been told has improved DMT code.

No you don't need to factory reset before the firmware upgrade, please upgrade the firmware then reset back to factory default settings, and then manually reconfigure the device again.
firdaussi

Post by firdaussi »

Thank you, it's very much appreciated. I'll give it a go and see what difference it makes. I'm also thinking of putting a new faceplate on the BT box which may improve things as the main socket is in the same corner as the tv which probably doesn't help things.

Regards
Firdaussi
firdaussi

Post by firdaussi »

I've installed the update, reset to factory settings & then re-installed the config file. I guess it's now a "wait & see" for any more lost-carriers.

Thanks
firdaussi

Post by firdaussi »

So far so good - nearly 3.5 days without the lost carrier. Only the 2nd time I've reached that sort of level since the end of June.

Also stats improved since putting an ADSL faceplate on & ditched the dongle I was using.
Upstream 443kbps
Downstream 18382kbps
SNR Up 30.5
SNR Down 3.7
Atten Up 10.5
Atten Down 18.0
firdaussi

Post by firdaussi »

Guess I spoke too soon. The "lost-carrier" is still there along with "port-errors" & "user-request" at all times of the day & night (screen grab attached)
Also, I'm informed that the stats of the router are wrong & not possible (screen grab also attached). The implication is that the router could be defective.
Any thoughts or suggestions please.