Bipac 7402NX Port forwarding problem

Discussion for BiPAC 7402 series: 7402, 7402G, 7402X, 7402GX, 7402NX..etc
petersharon

Bipac 7402NX Port forwarding problem

Post by petersharon »

Hi everybody

i`m new to the bipac and it has been a challenge to set it up correctly.
I have adsl and 3g connected and it works fine apart from the port forwading rules
when adsl is working port forwading works but when adsl is down and it switches to 3g i have internet on all 4 ethernet ports but it does not do the port forwarding
even when firewall is off.
Any help will be much appreciated

Thank you
admin
Site Admin

Re: Bipac 7402NX Port forwarding problem

Post by admin »

Port forwarding on 3G is a complete different story to ADSL. First of all do you have a fixed IP sim or a dynamic public IP for your 3G connection? Typical 3G operators offers 10.x.x.x IP for your 3G connection and as they are private IPs so port forwarding will not work as effectively your 3G connection is already behind one NAT. You need to have a public IP in order get inbound access. i.e. you can only call someone if you have the telephone number, you won't be able to if you were only give the extension number but no main number.
petersharon

Post by petersharon »

Hi
thanks for your reply i have a dynamic ip adress it changes everytime that i connect the pen then i use dyndns to update the ip i have internet on all 4 ethernet ports basically only port forwarding is not working and that is doing my head in as the main reason for buying this router was so that if adsl was down 3g would curry on but port forwarding is a must or it has no use to me any help will be much appreciated.
petersharon

Post by petersharon »

Hi

well after a lot of reading its not possible to route any port on a dynamic ip 3g sim anyone wanting to port forward anything on 3g mode needs a 3g static ip sim then you can route all you want.

Regards
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

Correct you need a static IP sim to port forward over 3G.