DNS Proxy

Discussions for BiPAC 7700 series: 7700N
Brian49

DNS Proxy

Post by Brian49 »

I can only connect to the internet if I enable DNS Proxy in the router config. I wonder why that is, please? I would have expected the use of a proxy to be an option, not a requirement. Many thanks.
Ionknight

Re: DNS Proxy

Post by Ionknight »

I've also noticed this and as I have no wish to ever use DNS Proxy it's kind of frustrating to have to leave this on just so you can use the internet.
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

Ionknight wrote:I've also noticed this and as I have no wish to ever use DNS Proxy it's kind of frustrating to have to leave this on just so you can use the internet.
Works here see attached screen shots, I posted this reply using a 7700N with 'Proxy DNS' disabled
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ionknight

Post by Ionknight »

Hmm weird when I do the same ping fails. Literally disabled DNS Proxy only - Internet Doesn't work, ping, traceroute nothing. DNS Proxy enabled- Internet begins working again, ping etc. Has their ever been a bug with this setting (as in is it worth upgrading, think i have the latest fw but can't be sure atm, at work)?
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

Ionknight wrote:Hmm weird when I do the same ping fails. Literally disabled DNS Proxy only - Internet Doesn't work, ping, traceroute nothing. DNS Proxy enabled- Internet begins working again, ping etc. Has their ever been a bug with this setting (as in is it worth upgrading, think i have the latest fw but can't be sure atm, at work)?
Double check the software version to make sure it matches my screen shot
Ionknight

Post by Ionknight »

Yea sadly jut updated to the same version still getting the same problem, any ideas?
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

Ionknight wrote:Yea sadly jut updated to the same version still getting the same problem, any ideas?
I know why it was working for me, as I had static DNS servers set to my LAN, let me check with our engineers
BigJohnD

Post by BigJohnD »

FWIW, I use an alternative DNS rather than the default from my ISP, have the DNS proxy switched off and can ping (the BBC) easily.

Looks like my 7700N is exactly the same as the others.