DNS Issues

Discussions for BiPAC 7700 series: 7700N
BigJohnD

DNS Issues

Post by BigJohnD »

I've using the 7700N for some three years without problem. My home network consists of several wired PCs, wired network printers, a Humax STB, numerous wireless laptops, assorted phones and pads and four Devolo Powerline Adapters, one of which runs a second WAP on the other side of the house.

However, the router shows one set of DNS servers and IPConfig on the PCS, laptops and Humax STB show another. As I thought the PCs and definitely the Humax picked up DNS details from the router, I can't figure it out.

The DNS IP Addresses shown by the 7700N are definitely those of my ISP. (217.14.177.72 and 217.14.176.138)

They are picked up from the default WAN interface - the alternative manually entered option is blank and inactive.

However this is what shows when I run IPConfig /ALL (208.67.222.220 and 74.82.42.42 - it's the same on the Humax STB)

I have tried rebooting everything and using IPConfig /flushDNS but without success. Everything is set to auto, and I suppose I could change it all manually, but I don't even know where those DNS IP Addresses come from. There's nothing related in the Router interface

Any suggestions?
billion_fan

Re: DNS Issues

Post by billion_fan »

I'm not sure why you are getting these DNS servers

208.67.222.220 is open DNS servers

74.82.42.42 seems to be Hurricane DNS servers

I would make a backup of the config, then reset the unit back to factory default settings and manually reconfigure again (with just the internet settings) and see if the same issue occurs
BigJohnD

Post by BigJohnD »

I've factory reset the 7700N and then forgot the default IP address for the router! (It's 192.168.1.254 with U/N Admin P/W Admin) I'd been using 192.168.1.1 because of the previous router and setup.

After I re-installed the backup configuration, my ISP DNS servers were shown in the basic device info, but IPConfig /All still showed the other IP addresses, even after IPConfig /DNSFlush

Very odd. The alternative DNS addresses seem to be embedded somewhere.

Looks like I might have to print off all the settings and enter them all manually after another factory reset. Could take a lot of time…

Or I could just concede defeat and set 208.67.222.220 and 74.82.42.42 as the default DNS addresses!
Last edited by BigJohnD on Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BigJohnD

Post by BigJohnD »

It's taken some time but it looks like we're on track now. Thanks for your help. But I've still no idea how that happened, though the home.gateway would seem to have been by-passed/disabled.

PC

Humax STB