DNS servers

Discussions for BiPAC 7700 series: 7700N
Brian49

DNS servers

Post by Brian49 »

Please remind me how to ensure that my system uses the DNS servers I specify in the router config (Advanced Setup/DNS) and not those listed in a config file on my operating system (/etc/resolv.conf in Linux Debian). If I edit that file to show the router's address (192.168.1.254) instead of an external server, I cannot connect to any websites. I am probably missing something simple, but I cannot figure out what it is! Many thanks.
billion_fan

Re: DNS servers

Post by billion_fan »

Brian49 wrote:Please remind me how to ensure that my system uses the DNS servers I specify in the router config (Advanced Setup/DNS) and not those listed in a config file on my operating system (/etc/resolv.conf in Linux Debian). If I edit that file to show the router's address (192.168.1.254) instead of an external server, I cannot connect to any websites. I am probably missing something simple, but I cannot figure out what it is! Many thanks.
Not sure on Linux, but on windows you can change the TCP/IPv4 settings to 'Use the following DNS servers' and manually set the DNS server required

(you can leave the IP address settings on 'Obtain a IP address automatically')