Router remains logged in after logout

rustleg

Router remains logged in after logout

Post by rustleg »

I have just set up my new 7800N for the first time. No problems everything is working fine. But ...

I have set a non default password. No problem logging in. Quite the contrary. If I log out then enter 192.168.1.254 back into the browser address bar it logs back in without asking for the username and password. Applies to both chrome and firefox on Windows 7. I cleared cookies and the cache but to no avail.

This PC is used by others, I don't want to allow them to fiddle with the router settings. Seems like a big security hole. Am I missing some setting?
billion_fan

Re: Router remains logged in after logout

Post by billion_fan »

rustleg wrote:I have just set up my new 7800N for the first time. No problems everything is working fine. But ...

I have set a non default password. No problem logging in. Quite the contrary. If I log out then enter 192.168.1.254 back into the browser address bar it logs back in without asking for the username and password. Applies to both chrome and firefox on Windows 7. I cleared cookies and the cache but to no avail.

This PC is used by others, I don't want to allow them to fiddle with the router settings. Seems like a big security hole. Am I missing some setting?
Try closing your web browser, I have just tested this, and also don't save your password when chrome asks you too.

So I changed the default password, logged in again with the new password, closed the web browser, re opened the web browser, navigated to http://192.168.1.254 and was prompted for the username and password to proceed. (all in google chrome on win 7)
rustleg

Post by rustleg »

billion_fan wrote:
Try closing your web browser, I have just tested this, and also don't save your password when chrome asks you too.

So I changed the default password, logged in again with the new password, closed the web browser, re opened the web browser, navigated to http://192.168.1.254 and was prompted for the username and password to proceed. (all in google chrome on win 7)
Firefox has more or less sorted itself out after I deleted the cache. etc. Firefox asks for the password only if I log off, close Firefox and reopen it, so it's ok but not ideal and does indicate some problem still lurks.

But not Chrome.

I have Chrome set to never save passwords or form data. I logged off, cleared all browsing data and checked everything was gone, closed Chrome. Then opened it and entered the URL and it still took me straight in. The only time I can get it to ask me for the password is immediately after I change the password.

When I attempted to change the password I experimented with deliberately entering the wrong current password and it correctly detected that this was wrong, so it is storing the password correctly. I have no more ideas.
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

rustleg wrote:
billion_fan wrote:

Firefox has more or less sorted itself out after I deleted the cache. etc. Firefox asks for the password only if I log off, close Firefox and reopen it, so it's ok but not ideal and does indicate some problem still lurks.

But not Chrome.

I have Chrome set to never save passwords or form data. I logged off, cleared all browsing data and checked everything was gone, closed Chrome. Then opened it and entered the URL and it still took me straight in. The only time I can get it to ask me for the password is immediately after I change the password.

When I attempted to change the password I experimented with deliberately entering the wrong current password and it correctly detected that this was wrong, so it is storing the password correctly. I have no more ideas.
I have just uploaded a video of my 7800N, I open chrome login, click on the logout button, close chrome, and attempt to login again, which it prompts me for the username and password, then I login, close the web browser and try again, and again I am prompted for the username and password

Video link below

https://www.hightail.com/download/UlRSc ... UUIzZU1UQw
rustleg

Post by rustleg »

billion_fan wrote:
I have just uploaded a video of my 7800N, I open chrome login, click on the logout button, close chrome, and attempt to login again, which it prompts me for the username and password, then I login, close the web browser and try again, and again I am prompted for the username and password

Video link below

I'm a little disappointed, perhaps you think I don't know what I'm doing? So I went to the trouble to download screen recording software to demonstrate it to you. I produces a MP4 file of 2.9MB only. I don't want to post it here because there are things on the screen which show my email address. I'm sending you a private message to offer to share it with you.

In the meantime I'd appreciate any advice on other avenues to try. Send the router back? Flash the firmware?
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

rustleg wrote:
billion_fan wrote:

Video link below

I'm a little disappointed, perhaps you think I don't know what I'm doing? So I went to the trouble to download screen recording software to demonstrate it to you. I produces a MP4 file of 2.9MB only. I don't want to post it here because there are things on the screen which show my email address. I'm sending you a private message to offer to share it with you.

In the meantime I'd appreciate any advice on other avenues to try. Send the router back? Flash the firmware?
Reply sent via support ticket