7800N resetting PPPoE EWAN Interface every 24 hours

chris6273

7800N resetting PPPoE EWAN Interface every 24 hours

Post by chris6273 »

Hi guys,

I have a slight question - About a month or so ago I accidentally restarted our 7800N with Factory Settings which meant I needed to set everything up again.

Since getting it working again with the EWAN port, every 24 hours or so the Router itself has renegotiated the PPPoE session causing the connection to drop until a new IP is given - This can be quite annoying if I'm in the middle of something. It didn't do it before the Factory Setting restart occurred because I recall seeing over 30 days of uptime on the session.

The entire unit doesn't restart - It has been up for 27 days so far, however the PPPoE session has only been up for 14:44:30.

It is not the seperate modem restarting - We are running a HG612 as our Modem and it currently has a connection uptime of 28 days.

Any ideas as to whether there's a setting somewhere I've missed which will keep it alive longer or stop it expiring after 24 hours?

Cheers,
Chris
billion_fan

Re: 7800N resetting PPPoE EWAN Interface every 24 hours

Post by billion_fan »

chris6273 wrote:Hi guys,

I have a slight question - About a month or so ago I accidentally restarted our 7800N with Factory Settings which meant I needed to set everything up again.

Since getting it working again with the EWAN port, every 24 hours or so the Router itself has renegotiated the PPPoE session causing the connection to drop until a new IP is given - This can be quite annoying if I'm in the middle of something. It didn't do it before the Factory Setting restart occurred because I recall seeing over 30 days of uptime on the session.

The entire unit doesn't restart - It has been up for 27 days so far, however the PPPoE session has only been up for 14:44:30.

It is not the seperate modem restarting - We are running a HG612 as our Modem and it currently has a connection uptime of 28 days.

Any ideas as to whether there's a setting somewhere I've missed which will keep it alive longer or stop it expiring after 24 hours?

Cheers,
Chris
You might want to check with your ISP, It seems they are assigning a new IP every 24 hours, so hence the drop and reconnection, the ISP should be able to provide you with more info, (the ISP should see these drops and see the new IP assigned and explain why)

Also check the router under 'Advanced >> Configuration >> WAN >> WAN Profile' to ensure the 'Connection' option is ticked for 'Always On'
chris6273

Re: 7800N resetting PPPoE EWAN Interface every 24 hours

Post by chris6273 »

billion_fan wrote: You might want to check with your ISP, It seems they are assigning a new IP every 24 hours, so hence the drop and reconnection, the ISP should be able to provide you with more info, (the ISP should see these drops and see the new IP assigned and explain why)

Also check the router under 'Advanced >> Configuration >> WAN >> WAN Profile' to ensure the 'Connection' option is ticked for 'Always On'
Thanks for your reply. My ISP is BT so I doubt I'll get anything out of them.

Always On is ticked.

I just find it weird that this started happening as soon as this Factory Reset incident took place. Very peculiar.