8800AXL r2 Low 2.4GHz output

Discussions for BiPAC 8800 series: 8800NL, 8800NLR2, 8800AXL, 8800AXLR2
JohnG0GCD

8800AXL r2 Low 2.4GHz output

Post by JohnG0GCD »

The 8800AXL is performing perfectly, with all the features that I need.
I'm having reliability problems on 2.4GHz. According to my phone's wifi analyser, the output signal is low in most areas of the house, compared to both the 7800DXL that this unit replaced and a Tl-WA830RE located in the same place. I've installed NirSoft's WifiAnalyzer and captured the signal strength as I sit here, for illustration.
The MACs beginning 60-03 are for the 8800, and you can see that the 8800 is a full 15dB below the co-sited TP-Link (MAC beginning 64-70).

I did buy this unit second hand, so may have bought a unit with a fault but, before replacing the 8800 with a new one, I need to check if this is typical of the 8800 series, or if there are some adjustments/checks that I can do.
I'm currently running firmware 2.52 d15 but note that there is now a d17 to try. I'm not sure if firmware would affect the output signal level.

The next step is to turn off the 8800 2.4GHz and run the 2.4GHz SSID from the TP-Link, until I resolve the 8800 issue, possibly by replacing it.
But will a new 8800 behave the same way?

Your thoughts appreciated
Thanks
John

(PS 'L' was put in place to serve the lamps downstairs because 'X' was not strong enough after I swapped out my 7800 for this 8800. If I can fix the 8800, I can put the lamps back on 'X' and turn off the 'L' access point. That'll be appreciated by my neighbours as I do seem to have filled the band with my APs!)

(PPS Have now upgraded to 2.52 d17. The difference is now only 12dB but obviously, that's what was expected. It's still significant....)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
billion_fan

Re: 8800AXL r2 Low 2.4GHz output

Post by billion_fan »

JohnG0GCD wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:21 pm The 8800AXL is performing perfectly, with all the features that I need.
I'm having reliability problems on 2.4GHz. According to my phone's wifi analyser, the output signal is low in most areas of the house, compared to both the 7800DXL that this unit replaced and a Tl-WA830RE located in the same place. I've installed NirSoft's WifiAnalyzer and captured the signal strength as I sit here, for illustration.
The MACs beginning 60-03 are for the 8800, and you can see that the 8800 is a full 15dB below the co-sited TP-Link (MAC beginning 64-70).

I did buy this unit second hand, so may have bought a unit with a fault but, before replacing the 8800 with a new one, I need to check if this is typical of the 8800 series, or if there are some adjustments/checks that I can do.
I'm currently running firmware 2.52 d15 but note that there is now a d17 to try. I'm not sure if firmware would affect the output signal level.

The next step is to turn off the 8800 2.4GHz and run the 2.4GHz SSID from the TP-Link, until I resolve the 8800 issue, possibly by replacing it.
But will a new 8800 behave the same way?

Your thoughts appreciated
Thanks
John

(PS 'L' was put in place to serve the lamps downstairs because 'X' was not strong enough after I swapped out my 7800 for this 8800. If I can fix the 8800, I can put the lamps back on 'X' and turn off the 'L' access point. That'll be appreciated by my neighbours as I do seem to have filled the band with my APs!)

(PPS Have now upgraded to 2.52 d17. The difference is now only 12dB but obviously, that's what was expected. It's still significant....)
Its hard to say if the 8800AXLR2 is faulty, as we won't be able to make a proper comparison as too many factors are involved, (walls, wall thickness, distance, interference etc there is no way we can replicate your environment

What I do know is the 2.4ghz antenna are internal antennas, the three outer/external antenna are 5ghz antenna

The thing to check within the settings are 'RX Chain Power Save' is set to 'Disable' and the 'Transmit Power' is set to 100% (default settings, but worth checking, Configuration >> Wireless 2.4ghz >> Advanced)

PS, the Bipac 8800AXL R2 is now discontinued
JohnG0GCD

Post by JohnG0GCD »

Once again, many thanks for the info Billion_fan. The settings are as suggested.

I wasn't aware that the 2.4GHz antennas were internal - that is a fundamental difference to the TP-Link that I'm comparing it with (and possibly the 7800DXL). Also noted that the 8800 is now discontinued.

I guess what am really looking for is my 7800DXL upgraded to handle VDSL2. I think what I'm learning is that I can't have it all in one box, which is probably reasonable.

Useful info, thanks. I'll probably play with separate modem / router / wifi boxes to get a solution. It looks like a replacement would behave in the same way.

Regards
John
JohnG0GCD

Post by JohnG0GCD »

Just to close off this thread.

After a lot of investigation, trial and error, I've settled on the 'two box' WiFi solution. The TP-Link is stable and strong on 2.4GHz, the 8800 is providing VDSL and superb 5GHz performance. It's cost me cupboard space, an ethernet port and a mains socket but it works.

I'm now considering handing the whole WiFi system off to a purpose made mesh solution to solve this and my remote sub network problems but for now, I'm enjoying stable WiFi again.

Thanks for all help.

John