Can I configure 8800NL as a stand-alone DHCP server

Discussions for BiPAC 8800 series: 8800NL, 8800NLR2, 8800AXL, 8800AXLR2
m1kegibson

Can I configure 8800NL as a stand-alone DHCP server

Post by m1kegibson »

I have recently upgraded to fttp and this has necessitated the use of the ISP router as my internet gateway - basically the ISP router has built in VOIP and the 8800NL with its 100Mb ports really isn't up to the job of being my gateway any more.

However, like many ISP supplied routers, the capabilities are basic and in my case, the DHCP server configuration is appalling and I am unable to set up my address reservation list.

As an alternative, I looked to use my 8800NL as a DHCP server. Just configure it with a different IP to the router/gateway and it should be all good? Sadly not. The key missing ingredient in configuring DHCP on the 8800NL appear to be that it assumes it is the gateway and serves its own IP to DHCP clients. I cannot find any way to tell the 8800NL that it isn't the gateway and it should be serving up a different gateway address.

Does anyone know how to set up the DHCP server and get it to issue a different gateway IP to that of itself?
billion_fan

Re: Can I configure 8800NL as a stand-alone DHCP server

Post by billion_fan »

m1kegibson wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:15 pm I have recently upgraded to fttp and this has necessitated the use of the ISP router as my internet gateway - basically the ISP router has built in VOIP and the 8800NL with its 100Mb ports really isn't up to the job of being my gateway any more.

However, like many ISP supplied routers, the capabilities are basic and in my case, the DHCP server configuration is appalling and I am unable to set up my address reservation list.

As an alternative, I looked to use my 8800NL as a DHCP server. Just configure it with a different IP to the router/gateway and it should be all good? Sadly not. The key missing ingredient in configuring DHCP on the 8800NL appear to be that it assumes it is the gateway and serves its own IP to DHCP clients. I cannot find any way to tell the 8800NL that it isn't the gateway and it should be serving up a different gateway address.

Does anyone know how to set up the DHCP server and get it to issue a different gateway IP to that of itself?
I don't think that possible
m1kegibson

Re: Can I configure 8800NL as a stand-alone DHCP server

Post by m1kegibson »

I was fearing that!