Own router with BT FTTP

General discussions for anything not model specific
MrGreen

Own router with BT FTTP

Post by MrGreen »

Hi there

I'm sure this has probably been asked before but my searches of this forum have been fruitless.

I currently have Virgin Media 350/35 and I am thinking about moving to BT FTTP 900/110 as it's cheaper than what I'm paying Virgin (who seem to penalise loyalty).

If I want to use my own router connected directly the ONT, what specific features does it need? I understand PPPoE is a requirement, but I've also seen that VLAN tagging is required under certain circumstances - possibly an ISP-specific requirement? I have no desire for the digital voice line to work.

Thanks
billion_fan

Re: Own router with BT FTTP

Post by billion_fan »

MrGreen wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 4:09 pm Hi there

I'm sure this has probably been asked before but my searches of this forum have been fruitless.

I currently have Virgin Media 350/35 and I am thinking about moving to BT FTTP 900/110 as it's cheaper than what I'm paying Virgin (who seem to penalise loyalty).

If I want to use my own router connected directly the ONT, what specific features does it need? I understand PPPoE is a requirement, but I've also seen that VLAN tagging is required under certain circumstances - possibly an ISP-specific requirement? I have no desire for the digital voice line to work.

Thanks
You can always check with the ISP, and double check the authentication method (normally PPPoE), not sure if VLAN tagging is needed, but you can check this with your ISP,