bufferbloat ?

Discussions for BiPAC 8800 series: 8800NL, 8800NLR2, 8800AXL, 8800AXLR2
chenks

bufferbloat ?

Post by chenks »

is there a setting in the 880NL (v1) that stops the bufferboat?
so that uploads dont kill downstream as much?

my connection gives me 15Mbps down but only 1.2Mbps up.
whenever anything uploads (cloud sync from phone etc) my downstream connection gets killed.

other routers allow the use of fq_codel to resolve this.
billion_fan

Re: bufferbloat ?

Post by billion_fan »

chenks wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:47 pm is there a setting in the 880NL (v1) that stops the bufferboat?
so that uploads dont kill downstream as much?

my connection gives me 15Mbps down but only 1.2Mbps up.
whenever anything uploads (cloud sync from phone etc) my downstream connection gets killed.

other routers allow the use of fq_codel to resolve this.
When I checked with our engineers they stated Broadcom will have to implement something, but they haven't as of yet.

The other option is the setup a QOS rule (screen shot example attached)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
chenks

Post by chenks »

unfortunately i can't afford to lose 20% (or any percentage) of the upstream bandwidth as it's only 1.2Mbps as it is.
TowerMan

Post by TowerMan »

billion_fan wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:26 am When I checked with our engineers they stated Broadcom will have to implement something, but they haven't as of yet.

Is it the same principle in setting up QoS for IPV6 as well ;)

However I'm not sure what values I need to input for internal IPV6 addresses :?

Richard :D
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

TowerMan wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:56 pm
billion_fan wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:26 am When I checked with our engineers they stated Broadcom will have to implement something, but they haven't as of yet.

Is it the same principle in setting up QoS for IPV6 as well ;)

However I'm not sure what values I need to input for internal IPV6 addresses :?

Richard :D
You either enter the IPv6 address of the client/s or for all IPv6 addresses leave the internal IP address section blank, (don't forget to change the IP version to IPv6)
Crazyhorse

Post by Crazyhorse »

I have found if I just set up QOS up and down to 100% works in keeping bufferbloat to good limits (40/10 VDSL) without losing a lot of speed. This setting gives me three A's on dslreports speed test without the setting I get a C in bufferbloat.

John
youngsyp

Post by youngsyp »

Crazyhorse wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:38 pm I have found if I just set up QOS up and down to 100% works in keeping bufferbloat to good limits (40/10 VDSL) without losing a lot of speed. This setting gives me three A's on dslreports speed test without the setting I get a C in bufferbloat.

John
Kind of this ^.

The consensus, if you have a read around, is to run a few speedtests and then set QoS at what your maximum 'measured' throughput rates are. For example, when I did this with ADSL, I would hit around 16Mb/s down and 870kb/s up, so that's what I set the QoS values at. You'll need to work out peak throughput as a % of sync rate with the Billion of course. If you do this, you'll not actually impact on your line's performance.
It worked very well and web browsing became noticeably quicker, plus the DSLReports bufferbloat test went from very poor to A+.

Will see if I can improve performance any by doing the same for my current VDSL line.

Paul