7800N drops wifi intermittently on newer devices

victoriaclare

7800N drops wifi intermittently on newer devices

Post by victoriaclare »

My trusty Billion 7800N has started dropping the internet on wifi connection from time to time. First noticed on a desktop with a new wifi card, then on the new sky box, and now I have replaced my laptop and the new laptop has started doing it too.

Wired connection is still rock solid, connection to internet fast and reliable (currently been up 11 days and counting!) so I'm probably irrationally reluctant to replace the router despite its age.

Disconnecting and reconnecting to the network (sometimes a couple of times) resolves the issue but it's annoying!

Currently using 802.11b + g +n, Channel id is 12.
billion_fan

Re: 7800N drops wifi intermittently on newer devices

Post by billion_fan »

victoriaclare wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:29 pm My trusty Billion 7800N has started dropping the internet on wifi connection from time to time. First noticed on a desktop with a new wifi card, then on the new sky box, and now I have replaced my laptop and the new laptop has started doing it too.

Wired connection is still rock solid, connection to internet fast and reliable (currently been up 11 days and counting!) so I'm probably irrationally reluctant to replace the router despite its age.

Disconnecting and reconnecting to the network (sometimes a couple of times) resolves the issue but it's annoying!

Currently using 802.11b + g +n, Channel id is 12.
You can try changing the channel to channel 1 or 6 or 11 see that helps, also changing the 'Channel Width' to 20mhz might also help

If you still have issues you might need to replace the device
victoriaclare

Re: 7800N drops wifi intermittently on newer devices

Post by victoriaclare »

Thank you. I tried that and sadly no joy, so I have ordered a new router. Seriously impressed that there was support offered for such an old device though, so have stuck with Billion!