Losing all Settings on Restart via web admin

splbound

Losing all Settings on Restart via web admin

Post by splbound »

I just noticed this happening to me on Firmware 1.06d

Rebooting via the web admin tool in System->Restart causes me to lose all settings bringing the 7800N back to default.
Definitely am choosing restart with current settings.

Looking at the html form code for the site both radio buttons are named facDef

Code: Select all

<tr>
<td class="title" width="30%" rowspan="2">Restart device with</td>
<td class="content">
<input type="radio" name="facDef">
Factory Default Settings
</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td class="content">
<input type="radio" checked="" name="facDef">
Current Settings
</td>
</tr>
Looks like a bug in the HTML code to me either choice will have the router go to factory defaults :shock:

Everybody ... save your the config files before you reboot this way or use the hardware switch.
billion_fan

Re: Losing all Settings on Restart via web admin

Post by billion_fan »

I just tested my unit on 1.06d and restarted with current settings and everything was fine, settings were still there.

Did you restore a backup from a older firmware?

Also did you make sure you save the config to flash first then restart with current settings?
splbound

Post by splbound »

Hi, Thanks for the reply..

My initial investigation of the HTML code was incorrect. I had a re-look at the frame's HTML and the radio selection and form submission is taken care of a piece of javascript code that triggers a cgi script. The HTML code and Javascript logic looks fine.
Did you restore a backup from a older firmware?
No, as this wasn't the first time it happened to me the backup file was created just before I restarted it through the Admin. It is definitely a backup file created by the 1.06d firmware. I even kept the default name of config_1.06d.conf
Also did you make sure you save the config to flash first then restart with current settings?
Yes, as I have powered it down and up from the power switch many times before on this firmware and it had kept the settings.

Probably something screwy with my setup? I will just continue to use the hardware switch for now as it looks like some new firmware is coming out.
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

Yep firmware 1.06e will be released in due course.
Tomken

Post by Tomken »

Have you tried a cold reset via the pin hole at the back of the router and after you have reconfigured it for your ISP, redo the f/w upgrade procedure (using a new f/w download).

Backup your config - it retains the 1.06d name by default - and retry the reset, either from within the router or via telnet.
splbound

Post by splbound »

Thanks Tomken.

I have not tried to reset via Telnet.
If that works then its probably a screwy web interface\cgi script for me.

I will try this procedure out at a later date. Don't really feel like to re-entering my config if the worst case happens and lose all the settings.
The router is fine for me apart from this issue anyway.
Tomken

Post by Tomken »

If you backup your config before the cold reset, then instead of entering all the details all over again, just do a Restore with the saved backup config - remembering to do a normal Save Config afterwards.