Plusnet

jaymcb

Plusnet

Post by jaymcb »

Has anyone successfully used a 7800N with Plusnet? Although my 7800 picks up the Dslam very quickly and syncs at a much higher speed than my D-link DSL2740 it will not access the server when I enter the correct PPPoA/VcMux settings. When I let it do an auto connect it picks the server up as PPPoE/LLc and tells me I am connected but I cannot access the server. Anybody any idea why it won't just accept the correct settings as input manually and as the DSL2740 already uses?
Tomken

Re: Plusnet

Post by Tomken »

Have a look at the thread "Editing WAN profile billion 7800n" by growfins, while it isn't dealing with Plusnet - the solution may be the same ?
billford

Post by billford »

I've seen this raised before on another forum (here), but no indication how (or if) it was resolved.

From that post, it sounds more like a problem with the BT exchange equipment than the router, but I'm no expert!

Plusnet have their own community support forum, have you tried asking there?

Plusnet community support: http://community.plus.net/
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

Billford

From what I know you can use either PPPOA or PPPOE on plusnet, as I have a plusnet line here and can confirm the settings do work. LLC as the encap method for PPPOE and Vc-Mux for PPPOA

I would suggets following these standard steps to see if you can get a working connection.

1. Reset the unit back to factory default settings.
2. Login to the router interface
3. Click on 'WAN'
4. Enter your Plusnet username and password in the sections provided
5. Click on 'Apply'
6. Let the router save and reboot
7. Check your internet connection.

If the router states you are connected, check the status page to see if you have the correct WAN IP from Plusnet.

Also try a quick ping test to 8.8.8.8 and see if you get replies.

If not check the 'Status' page for a error code, listed under the WAN section on the 'Basic' Status page.
Pete-B

Post by Pete-B »

I am using a 7800N with Plusnet ADSL.

My setup notes are as follow, these are the minimum changes required. I also change other settings such as firewall and wireless.

Changes made following factory reset, Default IP address: 192.168.1.254
Log on to the router using the default username /password

Click on the Advanced option on the menu at the top left, you now have access to the advanced configuration menu options.

Basic changes

Configuration -> System -> User Management
Change Password to a new one
Change Login Mode to Advanced
Click on Apply

Configuration -> WAN -> WAN Profile
Change Username to the one supplied by your ISP e.g. user@plusdsl.net
Change Password to the one supplied by your ISP
Click on Edit / Delete

Click on Save Config -> Apply
Click on Restart -> Restart
nozzer

Post by nozzer »

As billford has suggested it may well be a problem with the exchange equipment. I know from bitter experience that certain Alcatel DSLAMs don't like certain Broadcom chipsets, because my previous router (Voyager 2110) would connect only using PPPoE, but any other router was fine if it didn't have a BCom chipset. If that's the case there's not a lot you can do about it unfortunately.
jaymcb

Post by jaymcb »

Thanks very much for all the help chaps. Much appreciated. I'm following put a number of suggestions.
knightnet

Post by knightnet »

Hi, I'm with PlusNet too, have been for many years now.

I recently moved to a 7800N with no problems at all. I'm also on the IPv6 trial.
I didn't need to do anything special though I am a long way from the exchange so although I'm on an ADSL2+ capable exchange and have been moved to that service, the router still connects as G.Dmt (see the ADSL mode page) which is ADSL1. This is actually better for me so far from the exchange but it is worth checking that page on the router to make sure it has picked up the correct settings.

WAN Interface
ADSL Mode: Annex M
Modulator: G.Dmt (make sure you have the correct one ticked)
Capability: SRA Enabled
PhyR: Upstream and Downstream enabled
Regards, Julian Knight
Tomken

Post by Tomken »

Hi knightnet,

Even if you have all of the ADSL modes ticked, it will pick up the one that's best for your connection.

If you have stability problems, it could be that the router could be switching between the different modes as the conditions change and with a very long line, it may be worth just leaving the G.DMT box ticked, although I've seen from your reply in "SNR" that you only get the occasional disconnect.
knightnet

Post by knightnet »

Tomken wrote:Hi knightnet,

Even if you have all of the ADSL modes ticked, it will pick up the one that's best for your connection.
Thanks Tom, I realise this, its just that I thought it might help the original problem for the reason you suggest.
Regards, Julian Knight