Pre-purchase advice sought

CraigBruce

Pre-purchase advice sought

Post by CraigBruce »

Hi,

I need to replace an ageing/malfunctioning Netgear DG834N and I'm considering a 7800(N). I'd like to know if the router can do either of the following - (full details of my setup at bottom).

Option 1:
7800 transparently routes (no NAT or firewall) a range of public/static IP addresses to (primarily wired) kit
PLUS
7800 provides a wireless network which NATs a range of DHCP private addresses with port forwarding available to allow remote access to certain devices

Option 2:
7800 transparently routes (no NAT or firewall) a range of public/static IP addresses
...and I use my existing wirelsss router with a public IP on its WAN side and NAT

My setup:

o Static IP range provided by Plusnet
o 4 static IPs used including the one for the modem
o Static IP hardware typically cabled rather than wireless
o 1 of the static IPs is assigned to a wireless router which NATs private IPs used by various kit including Slingbox, Wi-Fi PVR, Xbox etc
o Some of the NAT'd kit I access remotely, such as Slinbox and port forwarding from static/[public IP on wireless router handles that

Plusnet----> Modem/Router (Static IP1) ----> PC/server (Static IP2)
.............................................. ----> PC/server (Static IP3)
...............................................----> Wireless router (Static IP4) ----> 192.168.0.x range
..................................................................................... ----> Slingbox etc.

Thanks in advance,

Craig
billion_fan

Re: Pre-purchase advice sought

Post by billion_fan »

Option 2 should work.

Here is a guide that shows how to setup a range of static IP's with a Billion devices, this guide also relates to turning off NAT.

http://www.billion.uk.com/esupport/inde ... ithout-nat

I hope this helps
CraigBruce

Re: Pre-purchase advice sought

Post by CraigBruce »

Many thanks - just returned a Netgear N600 which was supposed to do that (like my current DG834 does) so wanted to be sure before purchasing