Windfows Home Server 2011

john_7

Windfows Home Server 2011

Post by john_7 »

I have a 7800N and have been installing/setting up Windows Home Server 2011. I have failed totally to install the Connection Software and thought it was an issue with my PC’s. But in setting up remote web access I wondered if it was/is the BiPAC. My son has set up WHS2011 as well, once remote access was set up I was unable to log on using the domain name or IP address. Getting Windows cannot display the web page. He was able to log onto using both. I was able to traceroute in one jump and get on using IP address.

My somne has had no p[ropblems at all and I would be interested if there is a known issue using WHS2011 or NAS devices with remote access. If any ideas on what to do would be more than welcome after spending days struggling with this!
billion_fan

Re: Windfows Home Server 2011

Post by billion_fan »

Have you opened the correct ports via the virtual server and point the ports to the Windows Server IP address?

The ports depend on the Connection Software you use.
john_7

Post by john_7 »

II am using Windows Home Server 2011 and to be honest I have had a look at the virtual server on the router and have no idea what any of it means!

I have found http://portforward.com/english/routers/ ... Server.htm but entering as shown gets an error saying not compleat entry so I thought best to stop.
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

Hi John_7

I need more information on what Connection Software you are using, as different softwares use different ports?

Are you dialing into the server using VPN?

More information regarding what software you are using, how you normally dial etc would help.

Once all the correct information has been provided I should be able to send you a screen capture of how to setup the virtual server so the required ports are open to the Windows Server and you can access them remotely.
john_7

Post by john_7 »

The conextion software is from WHS2011, sorry what is VPN?
wecpcs

Post by wecpcs »

john_7 wrote:The conextion software is from WHS2011, sorry what is VPN?
You cannot access your home server locally using your domain name or IP address as the router probably does not support 'LOOPBACK'. I had this problem previously with another Billion router and also my current Netgear one. The solution is to simply add an entry into your HOSTS file in Windows, such as this:

#Start of Homeserver#
192.168.0.2 xxxxx.homeserver.com
#End of Homeserver#

substituting your server IP address and your domain name.

The Host file in Windows 7 is located in Windows/system32/drivers/etc and just simply edit the file using notepad. I normally just copy it to desktop then edit it and copy it back, saves any problems with admin rights.

Colin
john_7

Post by john_7 »

Colin many thanks thats enabled local access to try/test remote access.

John
john_7

Post by john_7 »

One problem with using HOSTS is we found it locks you out away from the home server!