7800n Sync Speed & SNR Issues

spellbound

7800n Sync Speed & SNR Issues

Post by spellbound »

I'm at the end of my tether I'm hoping someone on here can help.

I am on an 8Mb connection with ADSL24, using my old Netgear DGN2000 I always synced at 8128 with 800k+ downloads achieved without issue.

Unfortunately the Netgear developed a fault and I needed a replacement Modem/Router, after reading the reviews on Amazon I decided on the 7800n, this is where my issues start.

Since getting the router my connection speeds have been all over the place, mostly much slower.

I have adjusted the SNR (as advised by Billion support) and achieved a sync of 8000, but this lasted for only a couple of weeks and the sync speed dropped at one point down to 175 which was a nightmare for even basic internet browsing.

After weeks of emailing my internet provider and Billion I am now stuck at a sync of 4000~

What really annoyed me was that Billion have effectively washed their hands of my issue and said that the 4k sync I am getting is well within the expected range for my connection.

Can anyone offer advice on what to try?

I really hope so as otherwise it will be returned as not fit for purpose and I will go back to a netgear.

Many thanks

Ian
tinytim

Re: 7800n Sync Speed & SNR Issues

Post by tinytim »

I think the advice given by Billion was possibly wrong.

I think that you're on BT's IPStream service where you'd normally sync at 8128 max down and 448 up.

Try going to BT's Speed test site at http://speedtester.bt.com/ and follow the instructions. If it works post back the full result.
spellbound

Post by spellbound »

Exactly right those were my old sync speeds with the netgear.

I have run that speed test numerous times for my IP and sent them the results, these are some of the results I have obtained.

The last change my IP made was request an interleaving change.

These are some of the results I have posted to try and resolve the issue, I'll need to move stuff around to connect to the master socket and run another test today, I'll post the results later today.
2011_12_10_-_BT_Speed_Test.jpg
2011_12_12_-_BT_Speed_Test.jpg
2011_12_12a_-_ADSL_Status.jpg
Many thanks for your help trying to sort this out.

Kind Regards

Ian
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
spellbound

Post by spellbound »

I have just connected to the master socket (the pc is hardwired to the router)

And these are the results I have.
2012 01 07 - BT Speed Test.jpg
2012 01 07 - Router Status.jpg
The IP Profile of my line has never stuck at 8128 since getting the 7800n, my ISP has reset it a number of times but it always creeps back down.

Regards

Ian
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mgardner404

Post by mgardner404 »

Ask your ISP to re-train the line (think that's what they call it). In other words as if it was a new broadband connection. It will take about 10 days for the line to settle. With an IP profile of 4000 you will never get above this in terms of a dwonload speed no matter what speed your modem syncs at. It maybe that your Netgear caused your profile to get messed up.
spellbound

Post by spellbound »

As I say in my post above my ISP has requested the line reset a number of times but every time the speed drops back down again.

The issues have only started since getting the 7800n, the issue with the Netgear was that the wireless side of the router died, it was still syncing at 8128 and working fine to everything that was hard-wired.

Ian
tinytim

Post by tinytim »

All that ADSL24 can do is request BT to reset your line or start the Dynamic Line Manager (DLM) running as they have no direct control over it.

Clearly you've have errors on the line which have caused your profile to nose dive.

My neighbour had a similar situation which was down to a poorly seated RJ11 connector. Just reseating that made his sync speed rise & then a call to BT got the DLM to start & over a few days back to a decent profile.

What you could do is temporarily use the 7800n for it's wireless capability & use the Netgear as the internet link. I think you set the 7800N into "Pure Bridge" mode & connect it by ethernet to the Netgear. Never tried this approach myself so you might have to play around with this a bit.

This might prove whether the 7800N is the cause of your problems.
spellbound

Post by spellbound »

Unfortunately the Netgear was thrown in the bin as soon as the 7800n arrived.

My provider is running some more tests and has asked me to provide pathping results.
Tomken

Post by Tomken »

Perhaps enabling Phyr once you get your speed back up may help with the bit errors and prevent the speed dropping.

What is the Downstream SNRM when you have max speed compared to when the speed drops ?

A bit of self diagnosis on your part can eliminate your end of things.

While this problem persists, then it would be best to leave the SNRM at default rather than tweaking to get a higher speed and if BT use SRA as their line management, then this should be enabled in your router also.

Have you tried with different microfilters ?

If your master socket has a faceplate then carefully remove this, checking that there are just connections to terminals 2 and 5 on the back of the faceplate. If there's a wire connected to terminal 3, then unless you have a RF Filter fitted before the master socket, then you should remove this as it's the old ringer wire and can act as an aerial, picking up interference. If there is a connection to terminal 3 and you have any extensions, then these should be checked also.

Connect just a corded phone on its own into the test socket, dial one and listen for any noise on the line such as crackling etc before the automated voice kicks in.

Noise on the phone line will cause faults on broadband, but BT should have already done line tests to eliminate this as a problem.

Connect the router with just a corded phone and microfilter to the test socket and see if that makes any difference to the speed drops.

Can you borrow another router to try or is there a family member/friend where you could check out the performance of your 7800N on their setup ?
tinytim

Post by tinytim »

Tomken wrote:While this problem persists, then it would be best to leave the SNRM at default rather than tweaking to get a higher speed and if BT use SRA as their line management, then this should be enabled in your router also.
I don't think on BT IpStream that tweaking the SRNM has any beneficial effect as speeds are driven by remote profiles.

I think that BT do use SRA so that is always worth doing.