Wireless Guest/Virtual Access Point 8800nl(R1)

Discussions for BiPAC 8800 series: 8800NL, 8800NLR2, 8800AXL, 8800AXLR2
noriga

Wireless Guest/Virtual Access Point 8800nl(R1)

Post by noriga »

Hello.
Hope you can help me understanding the issue I am having with my 8800nl (R1) 2.32e
After long time using it as main internet router connected to Fibre via RJ11, I have now switched to the ISP one as I wanted to use the 8800nl as an Access Point connected via ethernet to the main ISP Router. It works pretty well except from times to times the WiFi from the 8800nl shows as with no internet connection available and which I usually fix with a restart but what I have been more concerned is that if I use also a Virtual Access Point from the 8800nl, it is not possible to connect as when I try to authenticate to it's SSID (WPA2PSK) I always get wrong password. Is this method possible? I remember that when using the 8800nl as main router I have had at least one Virtual Access Point setup for guests and I never had any problems. Now to rule out a possible issue with authentication type, I have set the Virtual SSID to open, I can get it in and perform regular pings and nslookup's tests but internet is acting weird as pages take long time to open or not even opening at all, even the page of the main router. If I revert to the main SSID, pages fires up quickly as usual with no issues. Is this an expected behaviour? I have not seen anything in the manual advising that by using the router as Access Point, you cannot setup Virtual/Guest Access Points or use it in any particular way.
Thanks for your help in advance, hope you can help.

bipac.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
billion_fan

Re: Wireless Guest/Virtual Access Point 8800nl(R1)

Post by billion_fan »

noriga wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:43 pm Hello.
Hope you can help me understanding the issue I am having with my 8800nl (R1) 2.32e
After long time using it as main internet router connected to Fibre via RJ11, I have now switched to the ISP one as I wanted to use the 8800nl as an Access Point connected via ethernet to the main ISP Router. It works pretty well except from times to times the WiFi from the 8800nl shows as with no internet connection available and which I usually fix with a restart but what I have been more concerned is that if I use also a Virtual Access Point from the 8800nl, it is not possible to connect as when I try to authenticate to it's SSID (WPA2PSK) I always get wrong password. Is this method possible? I remember that when using the 8800nl as main router I have had at least one Virtual Access Point setup for guests and I never had any problems. Now to rule out a possible issue with authentication type, I have set the Virtual SSID to open, I can get it in and perform regular pings and nslookup's tests but internet is acting weird as pages take long time to open or not even opening at all, even the page of the main router. If I revert to the main SSID, pages fires up quickly as usual with no issues. Is this an expected behaviour? I have not seen anything in the manual advising that by using the router as Access Point, you cannot setup Virtual/Guest Access Points or use it in any particular way.
Thanks for your help in advance, hope you can help.

bipac.PNG
If I remember correctly 2.32e suffers from this issue when using the device as wireless hub switch/access point (DHCP off and a Ethernet connection from your main router to any of the LAN ports on the 8800NL, it only effects the virtual SSIDs,)

The screen shot you attached is for linking up 8800NL to another router via WDS, so not related.
noriga

Post by noriga »

Yes but is involved in the entire scenario no? I mean to achieve this, I do have to setup WDS to replicate the Wifi from the main router, I am not creating a separate Wifi with the 8800nl + the Guess WiFi, was just to give an idea of what I am doing, otherwise are you saying I should have not used WDS to extend the WiFi from the main router?
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

noriga wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:13 pm Yes but is involved in the entire scenario no? I mean to achieve this, I do have to setup WDS to replicate the Wifi from the main router, I am not creating a separate Wifi with the 8800nl + the Guess WiFi, was just to give an idea of what I am doing, otherwise are you saying I should have not used WDS to extend the WiFi from the main router?
WDS is only used to make a connection between your main router and the 8800NL, as you are using a wired connection between the two, a WDS connection is not needed. (WDS compatibility is issue between different chipsets we normally only recommend using WDS between the same model/brand because of these chipset compatibility issues)

To extend the wifi all you have to do is name the SSID the same as your main routers SSID. (8800NL should be configured with DHCP off and Ethernet connection from your main router to any of the LAN ports on the 8800NL, then configure the wireless SSID/Security to match your ISP router, and you are good to go) with this setup your ISP router will do all the DHCP/routing etc
noriga

Post by noriga »

Yes in terms of dhcp and all that is already configured like this, I was now wondering, looking at your advise, if removing WDS conf and just create the SSID'd would still be an issue for the Guest Network? I need to try, thanks for you help.
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

noriga wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:52 pm Yes in terms of dhcp and all that is already configured like this, I was now wondering, looking at your advise, if removing WDS conf and just create the SSID'd would still be an issue for the Guest Network? I need to try, thanks for you help.
If setup as I have suggested it will cause issues with the guest wifi (virtual SSID) only main SSID can be used with the setup I mentioned
noriga

Post by noriga »

Thanks Billion_fan, I am happy you advised of all this. Can I ask you just a tad bit outside of the issue, what is the wireless type of setup that involves access points connected via ethernet as in most offices, public spaces? Does the AP on the 8800nl not covers this at all?
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

noriga wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:33 pm Thanks Billion_fan, I am happy you advised of all this. Can I ask you just a tad bit outside of the issue, what is the wireless type of setup that involves access points connected via ethernet as in most offices, public spaces? Does the AP on the 8800nl not covers this at all?
From my experience you just plug your access point to the router via Ethernet, then setup either static IP on the access point for management or let the routers DHCP server assign the access point a IP address.

Then most people setup/match the SSID from the main router to their access point (so its all one network) and sometimes if needed change the wireless channel on the access point so it does not conflict with the main router. (some people use mesh networks now and disable the wireless on the router)

That's it, you should have one network that can talk to each other without running double NAT (as the main router is doing all the routing and access point is just a pass through device)