Bipac 8800NL WAN setup methods

Discussions for BiPAC 8800 series: 8800NL, 8800NLR2, 8800AXL, 8800AXLR2
noriga

Re: Bipac 8800NL WAN setup methods

Post by noriga »

This is not connected right now but the config was as advised and performed some reset as I also updated firmware. One thing I want to try next time is to add the mac address of the gateway in the static arp configuration same as per original company firewall. Ca you tell me if this is available on the 8800nl?
Thanks
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

noriga wrote:This is not connected right now but the config was as advised and performed some reset as I also updated firmware. One thing I want to try next time is to add the mac address of the gateway in the static arp configuration same as per original company firewall. Ca you tell me if this is available on the 8800nl?
Thanks
We have a mac filtering option for the wireless devices (Configuration >> Wireless >> Mac Filter)

For LAN devices you can only block them or limit access times via the mac address, using the 'Time Restriction' option (Configuration >> Security >> Time Restriction)

Or if you mean static IP's assigned to devices via the MAC address, there a option under 'Configuration >> LAN' in the middle of the page you see a 'Static IP Lease List' option click on 'Add'
noriga

Post by noriga »

No, I mean staic arp list on the wan side same as per on the Cyberoam firewall.
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

noriga wrote:No, I mean staic arp list on the wan side same as per on the Cyberoam firewall.
There is only two options with the Billion

1. one to one NAT = mapping a internal IP to public WAN IP, all traffic to one of your mapped public IP's will passed over to the mapped device using a internal IP. (the device that is mapped, will need be firewalled)

2. No NAT mode, with your public WAN IPs set to devices or set to the DHCP server, NAT is disabled firewall is enabled, finally a rule is entered in the incoming firewall to allow your public IP's to be transparent. (more information on the setup can be found here viewtopic.php?f=19&t=9583)
noriga

Post by noriga »

I don't see one to one NAT setttings on the 8800NL, is this present in the R2 version perhaps?
mcoupar

Post by mcoupar »

Is there a documented WAN setup method for when you have a 4G LTE modem in bridge mode connected to the WAN port of the 8800NL, and you want the 8800NL to function as a router only? I'm stuck on this right now!
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

mcoupar wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:05 am Is there a documented WAN setup method for when you have a 4G LTE modem in bridge mode connected to the WAN port of the 8800NL, and you want the 8800NL to function as a router only? I'm stuck on this right now!
Setup the device for Ethernet >> IP Over Ethernet connection (running through the quick start) in mode, the 8800NL should obtain the WAN IP from the bridged device (just like a PC would if attached to the bridging device)

Also make sure the WAN IP assigned from the bridging device does not conflict with the 8800NL LAN IP subnet

Eg

WAN = 192.168.0.1 (different subnet)
LAN = 192.168.1.254
DHCP Range = 192.168.1.100 ~ 192.168.1.199
mcoupar

Post by mcoupar »

Thanks, but now I'm even more confused as I think I've set up both devices correctly - I've disabled DHCP on the LTE device and enabled it on the 8800NL within the subnet of the 8800's IP.

btw if I connect the LTE device to my computer, I use a standard Cat5e, and that works properly. However, when connecting the LTE to the 8800NL, I use an RJ11 cable and connect to the same port on the LTE as I connect the Cat5e. It fits ok, but could that be the issue? Would I need a Cat5e (LTE) to R11 (8800NL)? Sorry if that's a daft question but I've been stuck on this for 2 days.
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

mcoupar wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:47 am Thanks, but now I'm even more confused as I think I've set up both devices correctly - I've disabled DHCP on the LTE device and enabled it on the 8800NL within the subnet of the 8800's IP.

btw if I connect the LTE device to my computer, I use a standard Cat5e, and that works properly. However, when connecting the LTE to the 8800NL, I use an RJ11 cable and connect to the same port on the LTE as I connect the Cat5e. It fits ok, but could that be the issue? Would I need a Cat5e (LTE) to R11 (8800NL)? Sorry if that's a daft question but I've been stuck on this for 2 days.
No you must use a Ethernet connection, RJ-11 is for DSL only so will not be used.

Once configured you plug your LTE router to the EWAN port on the 8800NL using a Ethernet cable.
mcoupar

Post by mcoupar »

Thanks! Embarassing mistake to make but it works now.

One issue I have though is that the 8800NL does not seem to be auto-fetching the WAN IP from the LTE. So, I had to take the WAN IPv4 and gateway from the M1 (10.108.x.x) which are presumably allocated by my ISP when I first connect and plug those values into the 8800NL. This isn't ideal as those values will be refreshed if I restart the LTE, so I need to enter them into the 8800NL again each time I restart.

I tried asking my ISP for the vendor and client ID (option 60 and 61) thinking that if I input those into the 8800NL instead of selecting "Obtain an IP address automatically" that I wouldn't have to do this, but they didn't know what I was talking about. Does that sound right to you?